February 2018
Dates For Your Diary
Monthly meetings are held on the second Monday of every month at Liddington Village Hall, opposite the church
March 12th 2018
Both Sides of the Himalayas by Motorbike -  Norman Parry
April 19th 2018
'Wheels, Skills and Thrills: the sequel!'  Martin Evans

May 14th 2018
VIP Close Protection driving -  Mark Kenderick, Bespoke Driver Training.

June 11th 2018
Swift Medics’ out of hours and emergency Doctors services      Dr Jonathan Glover.

July 28th 2018
Calne Bike Show - yes, we are attending so volunteers please!

Monthly Ride-Outs
Remember that monthly Bike Ride-Outs take place on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Check the Forum for details
Do you have a topic you would like discussed, or know of an interesting speaker?  Please contact Monica!

Congratulations to the following members who have passed their Advanced Tests recently:

No tests in February
Note, there are at least 5 waiting for tests! Good luck!!
New Associates:
Please welcome the following to the Group:
Don’t forget that we have a range of clothing available to purchase. We also offer a range of books, such as Roadcraft, Motorcycle Roadcraft and the Highway Code, and these are available at discounted prices.

For more information visit the Merchandise page of our web site at www.wiltshireroadar.co.uk.
We are always looking for more articles, ideas and news for the newsletter. Have you been somewhere interesting recently that would make a good story? If you attend any group events then take a camera and send us your pictures!

Please forward all contributions to newsletter@wiltshireroadar.co.uk
We're now on
Find us on facebook
Meeting Notes from SGM 12th February 18
The Special General Meeting was held to endorse the new constitution in preparation for RoADAR Wiltshire accreditation with RoADAR Head Office. 
Richard Howes, our Regional Coordinator, joined us for this meeting and was able to add some context to the debate.  There was one contentious point in the Constitution regarding the handling of funds should the Group dissolve; omission of the statement would have meant the Group not succeeding with Accreditation.  This was discussed at length and the meeting unanimously voted to remain with RoADAR to maintain standards and to benefit from the RoSPA branding; the Constitution was agreed. 
The Committee will now prepare the necessary paperwork for Accreditation.  Richard was confident if we submit by the end of February then he will be able to present the accreditation at the next meeting. 
Minutes for the SGM are available from the Secretary should anyone wish to see them.
Richard then spoke to the Meeting to provide his perspective. 
Richard is a volunteer; he is not paid by RoADAR.  He has been a member of RoADAR for 10 years and has hitherto shared the frustrations we feel as a group.  To add some context he informed us of how RoADAR Head Office is structured:
Amy is the RoADAR manager and is the only full-time employee.  She has to manage 250 examiners and 60 groups and deals with an average of 200 emails per day.  Please do not be upset if a response is a little less wordy than you would like.
There is an administration post (shared by 3 staff on a job share roster) who deal with the test bookings and membership administration.
Richard is one of 4 Regional coordinators who have been established to assist with problem solving and advice for the Groups in their region.  Richard looks after the South West which covers from Cornwall up to Coventry.  Richard is happy to hear from any members, to chase a test application or to ask for guidance; his email link is at the bottom of this report.  His main point of contact with the Group will be via the chairman and Secretary but he is approachable and wants to help.
He provided the following updates as well:
RoADAR are to employ a part time Quality Assurance Officer (there will be no Chief Examiner) to ensure consistency in the testing procedure and homogenise testing standards.  More details to follow.
There will be an end of year conference – probably at a central location such as Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire.  The format is to be determined and we are asked for suggestions.  If none are forthcoming we will get what RoADAR think we want.  It was suggested we may want to discuss First aid and the duty of care - a popular subject given the recent successful first aid course.  Suggestions for forums or presentations are welcome, direct to Richard or via the Committee
The results of the recent Survey regarding member benefits are due out soon.  Richard reported the suggestions received were not related to road safety.  It was suggested by members at the meeting working with Insurance companies to provide recognition for the qualification would be welcome.  Tim Read had problems with insurance when working with the National Escort Group (marshalling cycle races before your minds go to the wrong place), Richard reported Insurance companies load premiums for anything regarding Sport (from darts to motorsport) so this was a difficult area.
Richard raised the subject of insurance for Tutors.  RoADAR are working with an insurance company to craft a letter for Tutors to send to their insurance companies to ensure they are covered whilst tutoring with their own vehicle (not really a problem for the car tutors!).  He will circulate the draft for comment before it is issued. 
The RoADAR insurance covers the equivalent of professional indemnity for activity within the aims and objectives of RoADAR, any training activity is covered but not, for example, 2 mates going out for fun on a nice day!
He agreed the magazine was not the most ripping of reads.  He appealed for better content to come from the Groups so all you budding journalists out there put finger to keyboard and submit some interesting stories for publication.  If we send in news it will be published  - we have the power to improve the content of the magazine.
The Chairman thanked Richard for his efforts to attend the meeting so soon after he suffered from a Sorry Mate I Did Not See You incident which ended in some broken bones, a stay in hospital and a written off bike.  We look forward to working with Richard to improve the Group and our contribution to Road safety.
In response to a thank you note Richard sent this message which is a credit to RoADAR Wiltshire.
The pleasure was mine. Great to meet such a group of people that share the passion. Please pass on my thanks to everyone for their attendance and to the committee for their support and hard work.

As mentioned, feel free to share out my contact details with the group, if anyone needs any assistance or questions answers then I'm happy to.

See you at the next meeting, and looking forward to some warmer weather :-)

Richard Howes
RoADaR Regional Coordinator
T: +44 7415 230767
E: rhowes@rospa.com
Tutors needed!
Last year saw un-paralleled success with huge increases in new associates. We need new tutors to help train. Commitment is not huge – one morning per month – but depends on you and your enthusiasm.
If you like a challenge, and the reward of seeing someone achieve what you have, then drop us a line!
Communication from RoADAR Coordinator - Richard Howes
RoADAR Head Office facebook Page
Reminder of the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/161699161113584/ or type in RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders in to your facebook.
Invite to Gloucestershire Group
Ever had a vehicle pull out on you at a junction?
Ever pulled out from a junction into the path of another vehicle?
Ever wondered why such incidents happen?

There are numerous reasons such potential and actual collisions happen and most are more to do with human physiology (our eyes tell us lies), vehicle design and environmental factors than driver / rider ability.
Want to know more?
Join us for a free talk designed for both drivers and riders by
Stephen Wilkinson-Carr, RoSPA Senior Tutor, Glos RoADAR
Thursday 22nd March 2018 at 19:45
Main Function Room
Tewkesbury Road, Cheltenham
Glos GL51 9SL (N51 55.108 W2 6.696)
WEBAM  - Invite
Slow Riding                            
Sunday 27th May at Wroughton Park and Ride, Croft Road, Swindon, SN1 4RW. 
Open to all members and the general riding public so spread the word.
Skillshare 2018 - New locations
Skillshare will run from 10 am on the first Saturday of each month from April to October.  The locations (to improve our coverage across the County) are as follows:
For April, June, August and October it will be at the Three Trees Farm Shop at Chiseldon
For May, July and September it will at the Haven Salisbury.
Skillshare is extended to car drivers as well as bike riders.
Drivers or riders can turn up and get a free assessment of their skills, with the opportunity to sign up for full membership if they want to take it further. If members get an opportunity to publicise Skillshare the website is a good starting point or please ask Mark Sealey for more information (skillshare@wiltshireroadar.co.uk)

Committee Meetings
Members are welcome to attend Committee Meetings to see how we manage the Group and to contribute as they see fit.  These are held on the 3rd Wednesday of every month at the Village  Hall in Liddington at 7.30 pm.  Dates are :
Mar 21
Apr 18
May 16
Jun 20
Jul 18
Aug - no meeting
Sep 19
Oct 17
Dec tbc
Committee minutes    These are available from the Group Secretary if any member wishes to see them. If you are interested in reading the minutes, then please send a mail to the Group Secretary whom will promptly forward them onto you.
Membership fees - confused? 
This was discussed recently and a clarification is needed. There are two fees to pay:

1. Wiltshire RoADAR (the Group) - an annual fee is paid to the Group in October. This pays for hall hire, speakers and promotional material. This fee does not cover test fees or RoADAR/RoSPA membership fees.

2. RoADAR (HQ) - a fee is only paid to RoADAR (HQ) in the first instance for the test fee. After that, it is up to the individual if they wish to pay an annual membership fee to RoADAR - this is in addition to paying an annual membership fee to Wiltshire RoADAR. If a member does pay an annual fee to RoADAR, then assuming one does so for three years continuously, there will not be a further test fee to be paid for the three yearly retest.  The fee to RoSPA is paid by the indiviudual at the time of booking their test. Annual renewal to RoADAR is around the time of your test. 
A reminder for all Members there is a Forum on the Website which can be used for any purpose but particularly coordinating events, hints, tips and general conversation.  It is easy to register on the website so please do log on and chat away.
Test results 
Reminder to let the Membership Secretary, and your tutor, know when you have taken your Advanced Driving/Riding Test and result. This is so our database is kept up to date; there is no need or pressure at all to have the result published on the website or in this newsletter if you wish to keep your result confidential.

Membership Secretary: Mr Gary Franks
Hon Secretary: Mr Peter Genet
To make sure that you receive our messages we recommend that you add newsletter@wiltshireroadar.co.uk, membership@wiltshireroadar.co.uk and secretary@wiltshireroadar.co.uk to your address list.